Semgel is a powerfull web application that enables you gather and analyze data from websites such as Crunchbase. It takes just 3 clicks to gather and start analyzing data in Semgel. Once you have logged in
- create a new space by clicking on the "create space" button and optionally give it a name
- search for what the keywords that describe the companies, investors or people you are interested in.
- gather the data by clicking on the "grab data" button.
Semgel automatically consolidates the data into a database ready for you to explore. You can use the intuitive interface to analyse the data or you could just take a look at some of the automatically generated views (or reports). The videos below takes you through these steps.
While this should get you started, Semgel offers a range of powerfull functionality to gather and analyze data. Browse through the sections below to discover what you can do with Semgel.
Semgel allows you to gather data directly from a selection of websites. Currently, Crunchbase is the only site supported. We plan to add additional websites soon.
Once you have created a new space, you can search for different types of data from the supported sources and optionally filter the results based on various criteria.
You can than gather data about either specific search results or a collection of results at one go. You can search and grab data incrementally - you dont need to do it all in one shot.
While you can get a lot out of just gathering, navigating and visualizing data, Semgel allows you to also add to and modify the data that you have gathered in several ways. You can
- grab data about some of the items related to the items you have grabbed. eg. if you have grabbed a company, you can grab data about its competitors with just a couple of clicks.
- merge items if they happen to represent the same entity. eg merging similar tags in crunchbase data
Once you have navigated and filtered to isolate the data you are interested in, you have several ways to make sense of the data. You can
- sort the collection by any of the properties
- aggregate a column to see aggregate values such as sum/avg/min/max for the column
- create expressions to calculate subtotals (count/sum/avg/min/max) for all the values in a multi-valued cells of a column or extract specific values from compound items.
Data in a table can be easily formatted to focus on what you are interested in. You can resize, rearrange or hide columns as required.
You can also visualize the data in a table as charts. When you switch to the chart view, Semgel tries to automatically create a default chart by using the properties for the collection. You can than
- change the property you want to visualize
- change the chart type for the property you have selected. Timecharts and Piecharts and currently supported (more coming soon!)
In Semgel, You gather and analyze data in workspaces - spaces for short. All the spaces you have created are accessible from the Home tab. From here, you can
- create or open new spaces
- rename a space or delete it entirely
- create a copy of a space complete with all the saved views
- share or unshare a space.
The account link on the top right allows you to do basic account management including changing your password or upgrading your plan.